Friday, September 13, 2013

Two Weeks In Kuwait

    This is the American Universal School in Kuwait.  A rather imposing large blue building

Greetings From the Middle East!

As of Thursday, September 12, I have taught fourteen days at the Universal School of Kuwait.  We have a six-day schedule.  There are six sections of most classes including Kg-1 and Kg-2.  There are three sections of nursery, which are the three-year-olds.  These little people (which can have very big voices when they are crying) I see twice in a three day cycle.  The other classes I see just once every six days.  Nursery and Kg-1 and Kg-2 I see twice a week for thirty minutes.  The other classes I see for forty minutes once a week.  I teach seven classes each day except on day three where I have planning in the afternoon.  The day goes by very quickly; not much time to catch my breath.

The culture is very verbal, which is a polite way of saying that these children love to talk!  So discipline is very important.  The children are pretty sweet and eager to please, but like my students back home, they need to know what the expectations are.  They also need plenty of gentle reminders and that constant positive reinforcement.  All the classes except for nursery have at least twenty-five students per class.  That is a lot of positive reinforcement in one day!

                    This is Mohammed, our one of our four full time guards.  I feel very safe here.

Adjusting to a large school system is almost as much of a challenge than the whole culture shift.  And the names!  Did you have any idea that there are at least five or six variations of the name "Abdullah?"
There are usually three or four Mohammeds in each class.  Some spelled with "ad" at the end and some with "ed."  There are some Arabic names with sounds that I haven't vocalized since high school German!  But I keep trying.  My students are very patient with their teacher from America.  My rule is that only the owner of the name I mangle is allowed to correct me.  Some of these children are so soft-spoken that I will occasionally make an exception to that rule.  

I have made name cards for all students 1-4.  They are about the size of a large notecards.  They have a large note on each card with their names written across the top; all laminated.  These become their assigned spot and double as a seating chart.  We have practiced the fine art of passing all the cards in correctly so I can put them back down in the same order next time we have class.  We'll see if they remember next week!  When they raise their hand to answer a question, they hold up their cards so I can call them by name, assuming that I remember how to pronounce it!  One of my class rules is "Always try your best."  Learning their names will be my challenge this year!  Someone told me it is impossible and to not even try.  I'll let you know how I'm doing in about nine months!

I know many of you probably chuckled when I mentioned that I would be bringing my beanie baby collection to Kuwait.  After I wrote that, I got to thinking that some of you probably thought I was a serious collector and couldn't bear to leave my little friends behind.  I have picked them all up at garage sales and Goodwill.  I use them in place of beanbags to teach my students beat.  Little did I know that unless these students have traveled to the states, they have never seen beanie babies.  These kids haven't had a certified music instructor for two years, so everybody is working on beat, which can get a little boring for older kids.  You should have seen the eyes of these children of wealth when I opened up my tub of beanie babies. I had fourth grade boys giving their animals kisses before we had to put them back in the tub when it was time to line up!  Who would have thought?

Its been a good two weeks.  I'm gradually getting my feet wet. My colleagues are from all over the planet and have taught all over the world.  Everyday brings new ideas and challenges.  Even the simple act of buying cheese over the counter in the local grocery store becomes interesting when you find out that the man from behind the counter is from Egypt and is delighted to let you try this and that.  It is an amazing experience, but I miss you all. 

Many thanks to so many of you who keep in touch.

Blessings,

Charlotte


                      A view from the rooftop of the teacher's apartment building.

    The building on the left is my apartment building.  I live on the third floor.

                       Goodbye until next time!
         

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte,

    I have to say that I find the part about the beanie babies to be rather interesting and rather entertaining, seeing a picture in my head of a Muslim boy in the 4th grade kissing a beanie baby animal before putting it away.

    I hope that all is going well for you and that things continue to get better as time moves on for you.

    You are getting some amazing photos as well can't wait to see more as you post to your blog.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, you are having some great life experiences! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete