Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I Have Arrived

I would never describe myself as a world traveler, but compared to a week ago, I feel like Hilary Clinton!  The leg of my trip from Chicago to Ammon, Jordan was about thirteen hours.  Not much legroom at all and there was no way I was getting much sleep between the little boy next to me who would occasionally sprawl across my lap and the little boy across the aisle who would let out a blood curdling scream just about the time I would start to nod off.  The term "weary traveler" has now taken a whole new meaning.


View at the top of the escalator at the airport in Ammon, Jordan

We arrived in Ammon at about six pm.  I went to the Royal Jordanian desk and picked up my boarding pass to Kuwait and discovered that I and and the rest of our party had been bumped to the next flight.  It didn't leave Ammon until seven hours later.  So I had some down time, which was actually not too
bad.  It felt great to stretch my legs.  It was eleven pm in Jordan, but I knew it was about the end of the day for my son's class of six graders several thousand miles away in Gibbon, Nebraska.  Back in February when I interviewed at the Overseas Job Fair in Waterloo, Iowa, I had FaceTimed this same class as I was waiting to speak to an administrator at a school in the Marshall Islands.  It was an amazing experience touching base with that same group of students seven months later.  I have to admit, technology is pretty astonishing at times.

The last leg of our journey began at 1:05 AM.  I can't describe the rush of feelings in my heart as the jet  touched down in Kuwait.  So many prayers for a safe journey were answered.  (Thank you, St. Paul Lutheran in Eldora, Iowa!) Ten months ago when I was essentially pink-slipped,  life as I knew it would never be the same.  The uncertainty of my future in education terrifying. In these economic times, older "seasoned" teachers are not always a valued commodity.  In the international community, quite the opposite is true.  There are many of us "over fifties" crowd that are making a fresh start in schools all over the world.  We are ready to hit the ground running!

1 comment:

  1. Charlotte,

    Good to hear that you made it to Kuwait safe and sound. My prayers are still with you as you get ready to start your new adventure in teaching children overseas. Have fun with your opportunity to do so.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete