Sunday, August 11, 2013

Lists and More Lists...

I've never been a person to make lists, but that seems to be changing.  There are so many things to be put into place before leaving the country; banking, insurance, what to do with my car, mortgage payments.  The list just goes on and on.  Even as I was typing this, I remembered something else to put on yet another list!  

Then there's the packing.  Imagine trying to pack everything you need to wear for about 10 months in two suitcases!  When I cleaned out my office at school in Baxter, I brought home two carloads of stuff.
That "stuff" consists of nearly nearly thirty years of books, CDs, music games, and bulletin board material.  Not to mention my beloved beanie baby collection!  I can only take enough to put into one small suitcase and a carry-on.  I checked FedEx and UPS.  Their price to send boxes overseas was astronomical.  FedEx told me that the post office was much cheaper.  They were, however, it was about the same as taking another suitcase, so that is my plan.


 
                My last lily of the summer 


It has been in the triple digits in Kuwait the last couple months.  I refuse to complain about the weather. Every time I am tempted to grumble about the heat index, I'm going to remind myself about icy, treacherous, roads during the long, cold Iowa winters.  I have had my share of close calls.   I will not miss winter driving, not one bit!

It has been a summer of goodbyes.  I have been on the receiving end of many wonderful hugs.  I will miss my family and friends more than they will ever know.  But a new chapter in my life has already begun.  I already have a group of FaceBook friends who are also new to UAS.  Then there are my new students!  I have a hard enough time remembering American names.  Oh, the challenges ahead!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte! I love this blog. I have been thinking of you. I am praying for a safe trip for you and the adventure of a lifetime. I miss you at school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte,

    PLEASE be safe as you prepare to depart Des Moines International Airport. I am glad that I have had the opportunity to get to know you through your daughter. You have been an inspiration in my life in the short 8ish months since we first met. You are an amazing, strong and resilient person to have take the dive into the unknown of international teaching. I am praying for you as you set out on this Grand Journey in your life and praying for your safe travels to Kuwait City.

    Also please trust me when I tell you that I will do EVERYTHING I can to help keep Stacia safe from anything and everything that I can. Your daughter means the world to me and is really becoming a truly best of friends in my life. I pray for her safe keeping as she completes her BOLC training for the Army down in Fort Sam Houston Texas and for her safe return to my arms ready to fold her in a hug.

    You are someone that I truly call my friend Charlotte and I hope that I can continue to make you proud and to prove myself to be a loving and caring person to be in Stacia's life.

    Josh

    ReplyDelete